Today marks the Guru Gobind Singh Jayanti which is considered one of the most important festivals of the Sikhs. It marks the 354th birth anniversary of their tenth Sikh leader Guru Gobind Ji. As people celebrate Guru Gobind Singh Jayanti 2021, we take a look at its history and significance. Also read: Guru Gobind Singh Jayanti 2021: Know All About Warrior Sikh Guru & His Valour
History of Guru Gobind Singh Jayanti
The great Sikh guru, Guru Gobind Singh became a Sikh guru at the age of nine, after the death of his father Guru Tegh Bahadur. His teachings has spread across the world and generations. Guru Gobind Singh, the founder of the Khalsa Panth, was born in Patna. The leader was assassinated in 1708, when he was 41. As per the Gregorian calendar, Guru Gobind Singh Ji was born on December 22, 1666. However, Guru Gobind Singh Jayanti is followed according to the lunar calendar. Hence it is celebrated on January 20. The Sikh Guru was merely nine when his father, ninth Guru of the Sikhs Guru Tegh Bahadur was killed by Aurangzeb for refusing to convert to Islam. After his father, Guru Gobind Singh took over the helm to become the tenth leader of Sikhs. The leader stood up firmly against the injustice and resisted the Mughals and also formed the warrior community named Khalsa. It was under his leadership, that the community unitd against the Mughals and injustice. Being a military leader he was also inclined to spiritual beliefs. According to Sikh mythology, he was the last among ten Sikh Gurus.
Significance of Guru Gobind Singh Jayanti
The teachings of Guru Gobind Singh have a major impact on the Sikh community. Under his aegis, Khalsa followed a strict moral and spiritual code. His teachings are still followed among the Sikh community. Guru Gobind Singh was also a poet and philosopher. His works are still read and continue to encourage millions of people around the world.
On Guru Gobind Singh’s jayanti, Sikh families are engaged in a lot of charity work. People distribute food to the poor and needy. Ahead of the ‘Prakash Purab’ of the tenth Sikh Guru, the Patna Harmandir Ji Sahib Gurudwara is lit up. On this day followers visit Gurudwara and sing Gurbani besides exchanging greetings, presents, and sweets with their loved ones.
Here are some wishes to share on Guru Gobind Singh Jayanti.
- All inhabitants of this world have but one common caste – Guru Gobind Singh.
- Gurpurab Di Lakh Lakh Wadhai!
- May this holy occasion enlighten your heart and mind with knowledge and sanctity. Happy Guru Gobind Singh Jayanti to you and your family!
- May Guru Gobind Singh Ji give you the courage and strength to fight evil and always stand by the side of truth. Wishing you a very happy Gurpurab!
- On This Auspicious Occasion Of The Birthday Of Guru Gobind Singh Ji, I Wish To Convey you All My Heartiest wishes.
- Celebrate Gurpurab With your loved ones, Friends & Family, & Enjoy Guru Gobind Singh Ji’S Divine Love & Blessings…
Happy Guru Gobind Singh Jayanti.
- Blessings of your teachers and almighty cannot be taken for granted.
These are only with you until you do good deeds – Guru Gobind Singh.
Gurpurab Di Lakh Lakh Wadhai.
- Guru Kalgidhar Patshah Dhan Dhan Shree Gobind Singh Ji De Pavan Gurpurab Diyan Buhut Buhut Vadhiyan!
May Dashmesh Pita Bless You And Your Family With His Blessings
- May Guru Govind Singh Ji give you the courage and strength to fight the evil, and always stand by the side of truth. Happy Guru Gobind Singh Jayanti!